I really enjoyed reading in 2013. I found new authors to love and also new genres that I enjoyed. I signed up with NetGalley and was able to read books that I would have otherwise passed over or never known about. So - I decided to do my favorites of the year.* A Favorite New Author - Sarah Jio. I read all her books this year. I would be completely happy if she wrote a novel a month. I love her writing that much. The Bungalow, The Violets of March, Blackberry Winter, The Last Camellia, and Morning Glory. They were all wonderful.
* A Surprise Like - Sharp Objects by Jillian Flynn. This is not a genre that I read often. I never pick up horror-thriller-suspense on purpose. I read great reviews on this book and saw it at Target and brought it home. Completely disturbing, but awesome.
* Best Historical Romance - (not to include Sarah Jio novels) The Lavender Garden by Lucinda Riley. I had read not so wonderful reviews on her The Orchid House, so I was a little hesitant to read this one. But I was able to get it from NetGalley and I was pleasantly surprised. I loved it! It just goes to show that reviews are not all they are cracked up to be at times. Just because someone else doesn't love it, doesn't mean that I won't.
* Favorite Christian Fiction - Forever, Friday by Timothy Lewis. This was the sweetest book. Who wouldn't like a husband that sends them a love postcard every Friday for 60 years?
* Favorite Holiday Read - Mistletoe and Magic by Katie Rose. This was a lovely little Christmas story with a touch of ESP.
And what do I look forward to in the reading world for 2014?
* The next Sarah Jio novel - Goodnight June
* Getting back to reading Diane Chamberlain. She has never disappointed me. In fact, The Secret Life Of CeeCee Wilkes is still a top favorite of mine.
* Reading more Sarah Addison Allen. After reading and loving The Peach Keeper, it is a real nobrainer that I would give her another try.
* Reading the last published Kate Morton novel. I loved all three of her novels when I read them and I can't believe that I have put off The Secret Keeper this long.
* I am also excited about working with TLC Book Tours.