1.14.2011

Amelia Earhart Day

January 11, 1935, Amelia Earhart became the first person, man or woman, to fly solo across the pacific. Another famous flight was her nonstop solo flight across the Atlantic, May 20-21, 1932, the first for a woman.  So - it's only fitting that January 11th is Amelia Earhart Day.  A holiday that I didn't even existed until this year.  I think that it is a little sad.  I remember being very interested in Amelia Earhart as a child.  I think that it was an episode of Unsolved Mysteries that I first became interested in her disappearance.  I have to say that I get excited every time there is news that someone may have found her and solved the mystery.  There was even some new evidence found in December.  You can read about it here.
There were no big celebrations in our town.  Not even at the airport.  I read on one person's site that Amelia Earhart landed once at the original Flagler County Airport.  Maybe nobody remembers.
We took Taft to the airport after I got off work.  There is a restaurant there called High Jackers.  You can watch the planes come in and out.  It is pretty busy for a small airport.  There is even a room at the back that it is screened in and connects to a playground.  Taft seemed to really like it.  He loves to swing and to watch the planes.  I think that we will make it a tradition to go there for Amelia each year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are reading us, let us know! Leave a comment to tell us so!